Monday, December 3, 2007

Don's Presentation-Looking for a Street Fighter II arcade machine




SUMMARY

The subject that I chose for my assignment is something somewhat childish. It has to do with finding a video game, particularly a specific video game. This game is the arcade cabinet version of Street Fighter II.

According to the website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Ii, Street Fighter II was a video fighting game that came out in the early 1990’s and was quite popular in the arcades. In fact the game was such a money maker that an average Street Fighter II machine would earn $300 in quarters per day. The premise of the game is that two players choose among eight fighters. Once they choose their fighters, each player goes head to head. The winner of the match remains on the machine while it is game over for the loser. If the matches get competitive and a player keeps winning and others are constantly challenging him or her, that one player could stay on the machine for one hour or more in which he or she uses the same quarter.

RESEARCH METHODS

To find a Street Fighter II arcade machine I googled the word “Street Fighter II”. Once I did this it gave me a list of many links. One interesting link that stood out for me was http://shoryuken.com/ because it was a name of a move for one of the popular characters in the game. When I got there it provided me with a lot of information and options. There were many discussion groups on how to play the game, lists of locations where tournaments are held, technical information on how to fix machines, and also a Trading Post where you can buy, sell, and trade various Street Fighter II items. When I went to the Trading Post there were many links where I could find a Street Fighter arcade machine. I clicked on a link that had a person selling a Street Fighter II machine: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=144111. Once I got on there it seemed like it was already sold but since it lead me to ebay I just typed in "Street Fighter" under search.

It lead me to this:
(http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C12&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=street+fighter+&sacat=20269%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=90505&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2)

When I got there, there were so many sales for Street Fighter II machines on ebay that it became a little overwhelming. Many of them are expensive but also some were available for a reasonable price. Another factor that plays into my purchasing a machine is the shipping rate. If I buy one from New York the shipping rate could cost as much as the machine. So if I wanted to save money, I’d have to choose a closer location. I think I have to do more research.

No comments: